Friday 21 February 2014

How Do I Clean My Make Up Brushes?


This is one of those tasks that I was always too scared to do. Not scared as in "kept me up at night" but scared as in "what if my pretty brushes get destroyed". After reading a few blogs and watching some tutorials, I started washing my brushes several months ago. And I've never looked back. Wow that sounded dramatic.

Honestly, washing brushes are not that difficult and, once you do it right, it will be very rewarding. Your make up will look better and your skin will thank you in the long run. Plus you will experience that lovely new brush feeling again. Now who doesn't want that?

There's a few different ways of cleaning brushes. Some take the "Oh I'll rub it on a baby wipe and it will be fine". It wont. That only removes some of the visible gunk from the brush. If you wanna do it properly your gonna have to use water.

You will need
Your brushes (that's pretty obvious)
a towel
 some shampoo (you can be all fancy hear and use some expensive brush cleaner but you'll get the same result in the end)
a tap

First thing you do is get your shampoo and squeeze a small amount of it on your fingertips. Don't go overboard, a pea sized amount will do. To clean your brush, brush your brush in circular motions on your finger tips. Your hand should be still so that only the brush is moving. Don't worry if your hand starts to go all grubby and foamy and your brush is completely losing its shape. Keep doing this until you feel there is enough shampoo on your brush. When most of your shampoo is off your hand and now on your brush, stick your hand under running water and do the exact step again. Don't feel the need to scrub at it. If you do the same motion the shampoo will wash away gradually. Keep doing this until there's no shampoo left on your hand and brush and the water runs clear. Lay the brush down on a towel and let it dry for about 24 hours.

It's really simple. I get fierce enjoyment out of cleaning my brushes. It's a nice feeling when you see all the gunk being washed down the drain and the feeling that all that gunk wont be smeared all over your face the next day. You should wash your brushes once a week but, if your lazy, you could just wait till you feel they NEED to be washed. The choice is yours. I'm gonna leave some pictures below of me cleaning my Real Techniques Expert Face Brush which I use for my foundation. 


I hope this blog post was helpful and it compelled you to clean your brushes.

Bye
<3


No comments:

Post a Comment